It teaches candidates advanced concepts for more skilled job roles. It is a performance-based examination and focuses more on on-the-job scenarios. The LPIC-1 certification gives the candidate a good understanding of low-level maintenance tasks, such as Top 10 Front End Developer Skills You Need to Know backup, restore, reboot, and shutdown. The professional should have a basic knowledge of Linux, GNU, and UNIX command. They must be capable of installing Linux workstations, monitoring access permissions, and understanding basic system architecture.
- Linux has two career paths to choose from, one is the administrator, and the other is the developer.
- For example, they may use more complex language when communicating with a fellow IT professional than with a user.
- You have to be good with system hardware, acquainted with other popular operating systems and know how to write scripts with popular programming languages like Python and Perl.
- Depending on your experience and level of education, some paths to becoming a Linux administrator may take longer than others.
It is designed for experienced computer users who have limited or no previous exposure to Linux, whether they are working in an individual or enterprise environment. This course will give you a good working knowledge of Linux from both a graphical and command line perspective, allowing you to easily navigate through any of the major Linux distributions.
The more you learn, the better you become.
Job hiring platform Hired analyzed over 525,000 interview requests and 10,000 job offers between January 2019 and June 2021, revealingthe average US tech salary is now $152,000. Even low-level Linux system administrators, according to Payscale, can average $76,880 a year.
- If so, download the exam objectives for CompTIA Linux+ to learn more.
- Before you can take the exam to qualify for this certification, you need 18 to 24 months of professional experience working with server hardware and software.
- The professional performs system updates and server configurations.
- Comfortable dealing with users with varying levels of IT knowledge.
- Job hiring platform Hired analyzed over 525,000 interview requests and 10,000 job offers between January 2019 and June 2021, revealingthe average US tech salary is now $152,000.
According to Dice Salary Survey 2014, Linux professionals have got 5% more than the average salary for tech professionals. On top of this, they also received an average bonus of $10,336, which is a 12% hike from the previous year. Also, 86% of Linux professionals have responded that being skilled in Linux has given them more career opportunities and 64% have opted to work with Linux because of its pervasiveness. Ninety-seven percent of hiring managers report they will bring on more Linux-skilled professionals compared to other skills in the next six months. Hiring managers are also looking more at professionals with formal training and certifications.
Top Skills For a Linux Engineer
It’s very cost-effective and great for preparing for coding interviews. First, you will learn a bunch of Linux concepts necessary to understand things and then study some nifty commands to get useful things done out of them. This is another great course for both developers and DevOps Engineers who want to learn Bash along with Linux. If you don’t know Bash is a great tool for automation as it allows you to write shell scripts to automate trivial tasks.
- Linux system engineers can advance their careers by becoming more knowledgeable about the Linux operating system and by gaining experience working with different types of Linux systems.
- The result is usually hours, days, or even months spent learning unrelated bits and pieces with no clear structure and no real progress to show for their work.
- For example, some certifications may test your basic knowledge of the hardware, while others test your skills in a specific Linux tool.
- — If you are keen to learn Linux but looking for free online courses to start your training then you can also check out this Red Hat Enterprise Linux Technical Overview , a free Course from Udemy.
If you are a complete beginner then you can install Ubuntu or CentOS because these 2 Linux distributions are beginner-friendly. Hence, they are great to help you pick up the pace with the operating system. Computer Science 31% Information Technology 12% Top 30 AWS Cloud Support Engineer Interview Questions and Answers Electrical Engineer 6% Other Majors 44% Apart from a Bachelor’s and Master’s degree, you are supposed to have a recognized certification in Linux. This is so because it might be possible that during your degree you might not have studied Linux in-depth.
Sample job description #2
A Linux System Administrator takes care of computers running on the Linux operating systems. The professional will handle the support infrastructure, operating systems, virtual platforms, and applications. The administrator is responsible for the integrity and security of the servers and computer systems by following established security protocols and practices. This article was co-authored by Garnik Ovsepyan and by wikiHow staff writer, Jennifer Mueller, JD. Garnik Ovsepyan is a Computer Specialist and the Owner of HeliX PC based in Burbank, California.
Why do hackers use Linux?
Linux is the most popular choice for hackers due to its flexibility, open source platform, portability and command line interface and compatibility with popular hacking tools. Windows is a required, but dreaded target for most hackers because it requires them to work in Windows-only environments.